Cereal is a great breakfast food that is loved by kids and adults alike. We love the crunchy taste early in the morning in a bowl with milk, while it also doubles as an in-between meal or evening snack.
The challenge comes when you need to store the cereal after you have opened it. Cereal tends to become stale quickly.
Becoming stale changes the texture of the cereal as makes it less desirable to eat. Limp soggy cereal is a big turnoff as a beginning to the day.
Quick Comparison: Best storage containers for cereal
|#1. ZevrO Honey-Can-Do Triple Steel|
Our Best Pick
|#2. OXO Good Grips Pop Rectangle|
|#3. Gloria Vanderbilt|
|11.7x 9x 3.7"|
|#4. OXO Good Grips Counter |
What Choices Do I have?
There are several types of containers on the market. Depending on what kind of storage and counter space you have in your kitchen should be taken into consideration. Also are kids going to be making their own cereal as well as snacking on it during the day?
Cereal storage containers come in glass, metal, ceramic, and plastic. If you choose plastic, to make sure it is BPA free or not marked with a code 7.
Just a word of warning, plastics that contain BPA can leach into your foods and you will ingest these toxins into your body when you eat the food or drink the liquid stored in them.
There are a few different design styles of storage containers that are offered that work great for keeping cereal crisp. The most important factor is that the container is airtight.
Round cereal, glass containers might remind you of countertop cookie jars adding a scoop. Glass storage containers can also come in cylinders and uprights with plastic pour top lids.
Just make sure to lid opening is large enough for your cereal to pour easily.
Ceramic countertop containers can come in a variety of shapes, colors, and designs. They may be too heavy for children to use if they need to be lifted. Any kind of ceramics or pottery is subject to breaking if dropped which could be a hazard.
Metal containers are usually aluminum and relatively lightweight. Ceramic and metal are not transparent, so you have to check inside to see if you are getting low on your cereal stash.
Plastic seems to be the most popular option when buying cereal containers. They are lightweight, most are transparent, and they come airtight. These plastic type containers come in all shapes and sizes to suit any need you have as well as most being kid friendly.
Modeled after commercial cereal dispensers, there are very kid friendly home units available. They come in countertop and wall hanging styles with single or multiple dispensers. Just put your bowl under the spout, then turn the dial, and fill your bowl with your favorite cereal.
Tell Me More
After perusing the market of available cereal storage units, here are some suggestions:
1. ZevrO Honey-Can-Do Triple Canister Dry Food Cereal Dispenser, Stainless Steel
- Stores 17.5 oz. in each container
- Releases 1 oz per twist
- Items stay fresh for up to 45 days
- Made of steel construction
- Commerical grade
- Comes in dual or triple dispensers
- Scratch resistant
2. Klip It 1450 142-Ounce Cereal Container
- Pour Spout
- Stores 17 3/4 cups
- Easy locking clips
- Flexible inner seal for freshness
- Easy grip design
- Pour Spout
- BPA free
- Dishwater safe in top rack
- Space saving
- Microwavable minus lid
- Useable in fridge or freezer
3. OXO Good Grips Pop Rectangle 1-1/2-Quart Storage Container
- Holds 1.5 quarts
- Airtight with button push
- Space saving design
- Pop up button doubles as handle
- Silicone seal can be cleaned in dishwasher
- Handwash lid and container
- Rounded corners
4. Gloria Vanderbilt 3pc Cereal Dispenser Container
- Wide mouth opening in lid
- Space saving
- Airtight seal
- Nesting containers for between use storage
- Ridged grip
- Three different sizes -183 oz, 105 oz, 51 oz
- Three different colored lids
5. OXO Good Grips Counter Top Cereal Dispenser
- Stores up to 5 1/2 quarts
- Non-crushing cereal dispenser
- Made for right or left-hand users
- Spring loaded levers
- Non-slip levers
- One hand dispensing
- Two silicone seals- one in lid, one inside dispenser for freshness
- Catch tray
- Tray removable for cleaning
- BPA free plastic
What To Buy?
I love the ZevrO Honey-Can-Do Triple Canister set for many reasons. The portion control is a big plus. The canisters are see-through so I know if I am getting low on cereal.
They may be a little pricey, but I think they are a good product for the value. The kids can easily use them as it may make eating their favorite cereal more fun as well be more inviting as a snack.
No matter which product you choose as your storage container, you will be pleased that your cereal will be fresh and crisp in the morning. It is a nice way to start the day with a favorite nutritious breakfast food that has that certain crunch.