The only thing that can ruin a family get-together (besides perhaps some resurfacing family drama) is cold, undercooked meat. Don’t let yourself fall victim to this tragedy.
Save your next BBQ by investing in the proper equipment to make sure that you are always able to smoke your meat to perfection.
Barbeque temperature controllers can greatly help to take the guesswork out of adjusting air vents on a smoker, helping to cook that perfect piece of meat. Any serious smoker realizes how important these handy devices can be.
While Flame Boss was not the first barbeque temperature controller company on the market, it has quickly grown to become one of the industry leaders.
Getting its start in 2013 with its first model, the Flame Boss 1, the company immediately made a name for itself that could not be ignored.
The Flame Boss 300 is the fourth model the company has produced, and it is by far their most impressive.
Released in 2017, this model has many unique features that have helped to cement the company’s importance in the barbecue temperature controller market.
Let’s take a closer look at this newer challenger and see if it really is qualified to overthrow the industry giants that came before it.
With the right temperature controller, you will be the talk of the town (or at least your family and friends) because of your superb cooking.
- The Flame Boss 300 Unit
- Unit Stand
- Power Adapter
- Pit Probe
- Meat Probe
- Product Manual
It is important to note that the type of adapter you need will vary depending on the kind of smoker that you use.
Weighing in at 4.5 ounces and sizing up at roughly 4” x 3” x 1”, this device is small but mighty, with many notable features included.
- Easy to Use
- This model is remarkably user-friendly. It only operates in an automatic mode, and it turns on as soon as it is plugged in. There really is very little that users can accidentally mess up when working with this product.
- High Temperature Threshold
- Depending on the type of thermometer probe that is used with the device, it can be effective at temperatures of up to 575 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Large LCD Display
- The product’s design allows users to see the pit temperature, set temperature, current blower speed, and meat temperature.
- All these temperatures can be displayed in either Fahrenheit or Celsius depending on the cook’s preference.
- Power Glitch Safe
- The device has the ability to “remember” the temperature it was set at in the event of a momentary power surge and continue on as if nothing happened when power returns.
- Capacity for Three Simultaneous Meat Probes
- Multiple pieces of meat can be tested at once to ensure each is properly regulated.
- Maintained Temperature
- The Flame Boss 300 will make sure that your food stays warm until it is ready to be served.
- Online Dashboard
- The data from your cookout can be transferred to your phone or computer giving you a complete picture of your smoker’s performance.
- Learning PID Controller
- This device can actually get used to the way your smoker operates and account for small deviations in temperature creating a smoother temperature control.
- The device will make an audible noise to alert the cook that the meat is ready.
- It also will alert your phone if the pit becomes too cool or too warm for whatever reason.
- Timers will notify you when the proper time has come for you to proceed with the next step in the cooking process.
- Open Lid Detection
- The machine recognizes when the lid to the smoker has been opened and will momentarily disable the fan so that the fire does not become inadvertently over-stoked.
- Adjustable Stand
- Allows users to view display information in any manner that is comfortable and convenient for them.
- Recipe eBook
- Some packages even come with an eBook full of recipes to help you to expand your palate and take full advantage of the mechanism.
How Does it Compare to Similar Products Currently on the Market?
BBQ Guru has been the dominant force in the barbeque temperature controller industry for a number of years, but Flame Boss is now starting to give it a run for its money.
While neither the Flame Boss now the CyberQ are inexpensive, there tend to be more outlets that sell the Flame Boss at lower prices.
The Flame Boss 300 definitely connects more easily to Wi-Fi than BBQ Guru’s best competitor, the CyberQ Cloud. However, CyberQ may be a better choice if you intend on using a smoker from a smaller supplier. Flame Boss’s universal adapter is actually not compatible with as many machines as CyberQ’s adapters are.
Testing has shown that the Flame Boss 300 actually keeps more precise temperatures than BBQ Guru’s product. While the difference is only a couple degrees, the higher the precision, the better the performance that can be achieved.
The Final Verdict
Although both products are definitely of very high quality, we would have to recommend the Flame Boss 300 over the CyberQ Cloud because of its extensive array of impressive features.
If you are just starting out in your smoking career, then you may want to consider a more mid-range model such as the Flame Boss 100 or the BBQ Guru DigiQ X2 if investing in a Flame Boss 300 or CyberQ Cloud seems daunting to you.
Hopefully, this review has helped you to get a better idea of what the Flame Boss 300 has to offer and will help to inform your choices of barbeque equipment in the future.