Sushi is an incredibly delicious thing to cook and eat, however it is not easy to get it right. We have all been disappointed when our sushi has not turned out the way we’d hoped.
One of the main problems with making your own sushi is choosing the appropriate rice. What kind of rice you use in sushi can make all of the difference — you can’t just use regular rice and expect your sushi to be restaurant quality.
Why, you may ask? Well, because sushi rice requires a higher starch content so as to allow the rice to absorb more water and become “sticky”. Sushi rice should be soft and moist and melt in your mouth — regular varieties like Basmati rice are too dry for sushi.
That’s why it’s important to get proper sushi rice to make sure you get great results. By getting special “sushi”, “japonica” or “calrose” rice, then you can make sure that the sushi you cook at home is delicious.
However, not all sushi rice was created equal! Even if you buy the right type of rice and prepare it to perfection, bad quality rice can still ruin your sushi. You want rice that will soak up water and become sticky (but never soggy), and stay fresh and light, even if you don’t eat the sushi right away.
Therefore, it’s very important you pick the best rice for sushi. Here are some of the best options for sushi rice, and which one is our most favourite.
Amazon Sushi Rice Best Sellers
- 5 lb. bag
- When flavor and texture of the rice is crucial in cooking, Nishiki is the brand people look to.
- This along with consistent quality has made Nishiki the most popular rice brand today. Sushi experts agree that Nishiki is their number one choice.
- Us #1 extra fancy calrose rice
- Kosher certified
- Great for sushi
- Milled in California
- Just the right amount of stickiness and natural sweetness
- Perfect for California style rolls
- NON GMO Project Verified and USDA Organic
- Certified gluten free, vegan, and kosher
- Great addition to Asian dishes or salads
- 15 Pound package
- California medium grain rice
- A great choice for everyday consumption
- All Natural
- Raised in California
- Sushi Rice, Premium Japanese Short Grain Rice, Specially Selected, 16 Oz
- This Premium Japanese Short Grain Rice is the perfect soft sticky texture that ensures your sushi rice to come out perfect.
- Japanese Short Grain Rice is absolute when eating it hot or cold. Try our Premium Japanese Short Grain Rice as a side to your fish, meat, or vegetable dishes. This rice can even be added to a stir fry, stew, or any other cuisine you create. See how sticky rice can add just the flavor and texture you were looking for.
- For Cooking Tips: When cooking, for drier rice use 1/4 less water than rice. For moister rice use 1/4 more water than rice. This rice has a larger kernel and a creamier center, both of which lend Sushi Chef rice its pleasing texture and slightly sweet taste.
- Natural Earth Products are made with the finest ingredients which are sourced from all over the world to ensure quality and taste in the foods you love. That is why our Sushi Rice is Kosher Certified, Gluten-Free, and has no added preservatives or coloring. Our products are the foods you love to enjoy, without the added guilt of enjoying them.
- Medium grain
- Certified Kosher
- ✔️JUST THE PERFECT STICKINESS: Golden sushi rice is loved by everyone because it has the perfect amount of stickiness, tender texture, sweet flavor, and delicate aroma. It manages to stay together in soups and salads holding its own among other ingredients. Naturally sticky when cooked just in water, no need for other ingredients. Cook on stovetop, in a rice cooker, instant pot, or your favorite way to cook rice.
- ✔️MAKE SOULFUL RICE RECIPES: This sticky rice is perfect for creating sushi rolls. With a quick cook time, this rice can also be used in rice bowls, rice salads, teriyaki, and other Asian inspired dishes.
- ✔️NATURALLY HARVESTED: Experience the difference with our naturally fresh rice that tastes great. These short grains have been grown, harvested, and cleaned with the utmost care. It is Certified Kosher, Vegan, Non-GMO, Gluten-free, Vegan, BPA free, Cholesterol free.
- ✔️EASY TO COOK: Golden Crown Sushi rice and fine quality are important for classic aromatic rice only quicker and easier to make. Golden Crown Sushi rice is one of the best quality of white rice. Each and every grain is carefully separated and refined from the medium-grain rice which is indeed aromatic and elongates when cooked, assuring light, fluffy, and parted grains.
- ✔️PREMIUM QUALITY YOU CAN TRUST: Golden Natural’s products are of the highest quality and freshness to ensure a great culinary experience. All our products are all-natural and contain no MSG, artificial food coloring, flavors, additives, fillers, or preservatives.
- JUST THE PERFECT STICKINESS: Pereg’s sushi rice is loved by everyone because it has the perfect amount of stickiness, tender texture, sweet flavor, and delicate aroma. It manages to stay together in soups and salads holding its own among other ingredients. Naturally sticky when cooked just in water, no need for other ingredients. Cook on stovetop, in a rice cooker, instant pot, or your favorite way to cook rice.
- MAKE SOULFUL RICE RECIPES: This sticky rice is perfect for creating sushi rolls. With a quick cook time, this rice can also be used in rice bowls, rice salads, teriyaki, and other Asian inspired dishes.
- NATURALLY HARVESTED: Experience the difference with our naturally fresh rice that tastes great. These short grains have been grown, harvested and cleaned with the utmost of care. It is Certified Kosher, Vegan, Non-GMO, Gluten-free, Vegan, BPA free, Cholesterol free.
- RESEALABLE PACKING: Pereg Natural's Sushi Rice comes with packaging that allows you to reseal or reclose the packaging. This offers great convenience as it prevents spillage and maintains product freshness.
- PREMIUM QUALITY YOU CAN TRUST: Pereg Natural’s products are of the highest quality and freshness to ensure a great culinary experience. All our products are all-natural and contain no MSG, artificial food coloring, flavors, additives, fillers or preservatives.
Our Best Rice for Sushi at a Glance
|Brand Name||Quantity||Type of Rice||Organic?||Origin|
Our Best Pick
|5 lb (2.25 kg)||Medium grain||No||USA|
|#2. Tamaki Gold|
|4.4 lb (2 kg)||Short grain||No||USA|
|#3. Botan Calrose|
|15/20 lb (7/9 kg)||Medium grain||No||USA|
|2 lb (900g)||Short grain||No||USA|
|1 lb (450g)||Varies||Yes||USA|
#1. Botan Calrose sushi rice
For more than sixty years, Botan has been producing exceptional quality sushi rice in California in the United States. If you want high-quality sushi rice that meets all of the US standards, then Botan is a great choice.
This rice is medium grain, making it ideal for making sushi.
The Botan Calrose rice comes in several different sizes, including 15 or 20 pound bags. It’s great if you generally buy your sushi rice in bulk, and it won’t run out for a long time.
No products found.
#2. Tamaki Gold Rice Sushi
Produced by Tamaki, another brand with decades of experience crafting delicious sushi rice, this is a great option if you want to make delicious sushi. This brand is famous worldwide thanks to its exceptional quality.
This rice is short grain, and has been milled. It is ideal for making sushi and that is what it is most famously known for.
This rice comes in smaller qualities, in bags of 4.4 pounds. This means its an ideal product if you don’t want to use and store a larger bag of rice. It’s also a resealable bag, which is very convenient.
- Tamaki Gold - Signature Quality California Koshihikari Short Grain Rice (15 lb Bag)
- Ideal for Sushi, or Any Other Dish
- The Finest California Grown Koshihikari Rice
#3. Nishiki Medium Grain Rice
Grown in California, Nishiki is a highly respected name in sushi making, thanks to its exceptional quality and taste. Its medium grain rice is among the most popular types of rice for making delicious sushi each and every time.
This rice is very easy to cook to perfect for sushi, and stays moist and fluffy. As well as being used for sushi, it can also be used for other types of cooking such as stir fries. The taste of this rice really is exceptional, and will add quality to any dish.
This rice is sold in 5 pound bags, which are convenient to use and store. They are available to be bought in bulk for those who use a lot of sushi rice.
No products found.
#4. RiceSelect Sushi Rice
We love this high quality sushi rice for its delicious taste and ease of cooking. If you are looking for a great brand of sushi rice in convenient packaging, this is a great option.
Grown and packaged in Texas and certified non-GMO (genetically modified), this is a great quality product that meets all US standards. It is short grain rice which remains fluffy and sticky when cooked. As well as sushi, this rice can be used in all kinds of other dishes such as teriyaki and rice pudding.
We especially love how this sushi rice comes in a screw-top jar for easy use and storage. This means that this rice lasts for a long time, and there’s no problem easily storing them away in your pantry.
- # THIS IS NOT A CASE. PLEASE read Description & Title properly before purchase #
- -- ONLY 1 ITEM -- CUBIC: 6.2
- LENGTH: 4. WIDTH: 4.05. HEIGHT: 6.2. WEIGHT: 2.23
#5. Lundberg Family Farms Organic Sushi Rice
For those looking for the healthiest option for making sushi rice, then Lundberg’s offering is likely to be just perfect. This rice is certified organic, gluten free and non-GMO. Plus, it is vegan and kosher so everyone can enjoy it.
This product is famous for its exceptional quality and taste, while Lundberg are also well-known for their sustainable farming practices. So, not only does this rice taste great, but you can also feel good about using it, as well!
This rice comes in several varieties including Black Japonica, Black Pearl and classic Organic Sushi Rice. The bag is 16 ounces, and has a resealable top for convenience. It’s recommended that the rice is stored in the fridge.
- Contains 6 - 16 Ounce Bags of Lundberg Family Farms Black Japonica Rice
- Juicy with a nutty, mushroom-like flavor energized with an exotic sweet spiciness
- A good-looking whole grain brown rice blend of short grain black rice and medium grain mahogany rice. Originates from Japanese seeds.
- Growing delicious and healthful gourmet rice and rice blends is our specialty
- Family-owned and operated since 1937
#6. Koshihikari Rice 4.4 Lb – ASIN: B008H19NWA
This is premium quality rice from Japan that you can use for various dishes including sushi and rice balls etc. As an estimate you would get 8-10 sups for raw rice from one bag of 4.4 lbs. Koshihikari comes from the pedigree of Nippon species of rice in Japan. You will love it line most of the consumers who already have used this rice brand and are satisfied too.
Taste is just amazing; however you need to choose new crop rice as after some time it may smell badly.
Perfect and restaurant quality sushi rice brand.
#7. Kokuho Rice Sushi, 5 Lb – ASIN B000FJLXHU
If you talk about the length, it is medium grain category rice that comes in 5 pound pack. Medium grain rice has a tendency of being sticky, more than long grain rice. It is sweet in taste and can be used in dishes that happen to be good as a sweet taste like rice pudding and sushi etc. Its quality of being sticky can be used fondly in recipes that need sticky rice.
Short grain rice brands
While short grain rice brands are considered to be the best for multiple cuisines in Japan therefore, we have categorically listed some of them here.
Tamanishiki Super Premium Short Grain Rice, 4.4-Pounds ASIN: B002AUXLLI
This short grain rice is of good taste and textures both, and it’s an amalgamation of both Koshihikari and Yumegocochi rice types better for sushi and rice cakes preparation. Lets go through what users have to say about this;
- This Japanese rice brands have made our meals amazingly delicious and it also looks good at presentation as well. Since this best Japanese rice brands have been machine cleaned and packed under quality parameters, so you need not to put time and efforts in cleaning it again
- People who have used it for Sushi creation have liked the taste, texture and right amount of stickiness to serve the purpose of cuisine making. It also can be used to cook other varieties of rice as well like rice balls and sweet rice etc. with great aroma and flavour.
- You need to be a little attentive while cooking, as it may easily get burn at the bottom it kept on high temperature. However, this is quality product that you would not mind paying a little extra for.
- 4.4 Pound Package
- California short grain rice
- Widely used by prestigious Japanese Restaurants
- All natural
- Raised in California
Shirakiku Rice, Koshihikari, 15 Pound ASIN: B0093ZTUEA
This is one of the best short grain rice species of Japan; it can be used as an everyday consumable ingredient. It has that stickiness and taste that would keep buying this again and again.
Premium Sushi Rice
While Nishiki is one of the finest premium sushi rice, however you can try tamanishiki for the purpose as well as it has great taste, textures and stickiness of short grain rice, which is a must for sushi preparation.
You would not regret after choosing any of these Japanese rice brands because of quality and taste
Follow the sushi making recipes and you can prepare accordingly
An overall review rating of 4.3 out of 5 denotes that this rice is very reliable and liked by a lot of users already.
Japanese Rice Brands
We all know the origin of famous cuisine Sushi is Japan and how can a delicious sushi be prepared without good quality rice. So we thought to bring to you some sushi special Japanese rice brands that would make your dish memorable and worth appreciation. Obviously anyone would want to celebrate good time with loved ones and making sushi n such get together is a wonderful idea and to boost your thought we have some amazing and tasty Best Japanese rice brands to discuss about below.
And the winner is…
We love all of these sushi rice brands and the way that they make sure that your sushi is absolutely perfect and totally delicious.
Of all three, our favourite is the Nishiki Medium Grain rice. This rice is world-famous and well-respected for a reason, that being its exceptional flavour, texture and quality. If you really want to impress with your sushi making, you should definitely consider Nishiki Medium Grain Rice!