Picking one of the best rice cookers under $50 to cook rice is the best option if we want to get perfect results every time. This efficient and time-saving kitchen appliance is not expensive; it makes rice cooks faster and turns to be fluffy and better than cooking rice in a pot.
We don’t need to spend a lot of money purchasing a good rice cooker. It is true that the higher the price, the more functionality we will have. However, the best rice cookers under $50 have the performance we need and suit perfectly in our space.
Top Features We Should Look For in a Rice Cooker under $50
The aspects we need to consider when choosing a rice cooker include capacity, cost, menu options, size, and so on. For instance, in terms of size, you have to look for the perfect capacity size. This depends on the number of people you are cooking for, or simplicity in shape not to take much space in the kitchen.
Although I will provide a list of the main features that we should look for in the best rice cookers under $50.
Ease of use
Some features make a rice cooker easy to use, such as:
- A non – stick interior which makes the rice cooker easy for cleaning
- A spherical pan. This way the rice does not get trapped in the corners or bottom of the heating plate.
- Different timer settings which help to make different types of rice.
- A removable power cord. This way we can carry the rice cooker to the table and also store it.
Rice doubles in volume after being cooked. The capacity we need depends on the number of cups of uncooked rice we will cook. For example, two cups of uncooked rice will yield around four cups of rice. In this case, the capacity is determined by the finished cooked rice we want.
The largest rice cookers cook up to 10 cups of uncooked rice, different to a small rice cooker which cooks around 5 cups. To understand this, you have to keep into consideration that standard cups contain about 160 ml. Most of the rice cookers come with a plastic measuring cup.
$50 is a good and nice price to pay for a rice cooker. Some people could go with the cheapest options, but they must know that they will need to make a replacement in a near future. There are more expensive rice cookers with more functionality; however, we don’t need to spend so much money to get a good kitchen appliance.
In terms of durability, the brand we choose is so important. For instance, Aroma is a rice cooker brand with a good reputation which customers are happy with. Aroma rice cookers work great as a slow cooker and rice steamer.
Other brands are Black and Decker which have positive reviews from customers, Hamilton Beach with a good rice steamer function, and Zojirushi which is more expensive but with high quality to make a variety of rice and grains.
The lid of a rice cooker could be unsealed or sealed. In the case of an unsealed lid, we need to know that it is generally cheaper. We can inspect progress through the glass lid, and it is usually easy to clean. Nevertheless, these rice cookers could spatter water onto the top.
On the contrary, a sealed lid prevents the top from spattering and there is any rattle. But, it is fiddly to clean.
We can also consider the material of rice cookers. Most of them use aluminum for the inner part, but some models use stainless steel instead of aluminum. Aluminum is a great conductor of heat and even cheaper. Although this is a soft metal not durable compared to stainless steel. A suggestion could be to look for a stainless steel rice cooker with an aluminum base. This will help us to get the best of a faster heater with better durability.
How to Use a Rice Cooker
The process of how to use a rice cooker to make rice is easy. Besides the rice cooker and rice, we also need a rice paddle, water, and a measuring cup. Spices, oil, or butter are optional.
- Measure the rice in a bowl.
- Rinse the rice. This step is up to us, but it makes fluffier rice.
- Put the rice in the pan of the rice cooker and add water depending on the quantity of rice. We can add spices, oil, or butter in this step.
- Close the top with the lid.
- Plugin the rice cooker machine to turn it on. We will generally see a light to indicate that the rice cooker is on.
- When the light turns off, we will know that our rice is already cooked. It can flip the switch up or make a sound too.
How to Clean a Rice Cooker
To clean a rice cooker after being used, we first need to remove the inner pan and wash it with soap without using harsh cleaners. Next, we have to rinse and dry this inner bowl.
For the exterior part, we have to clean it with a damp cloth. After this, we must clean the heating plate to take out any debris. Finally, we need to dry thoroughly the heating plate.
Review of the 5 Best Rice Cookers under $50
Here I go with a list of the best rice cookers under $50.
1. Aroma Housewares ARC-914SBD
This is a stainless steel rice cooker with a capacity to rinse up to 8 cups of cooked rice. Its dimensions are 8.25 x 9 x 8.5 inches. It also works as a steamer for cooking meat or vegetables.
This Aroma Housewares has different rice functions to cook; white rice, brown rice and flash rice. Moreover, it has some buttons to press for steaming, keeping warm, and a delay timer. Once the rice is finished, it automatically switches to keep-warm so we don’t need to monitor it.
It has a removable steamer tray. We can cook rice while simultaneously steaming meat or veggies. Also includes a nonstick inner pot, rice paddle, rice measuring cup, and instructions for cooking a variety of different grains.
- Good price-quality relationship
- It’s simple and versatile
- The water level marks inside are calibrated for the number of cups we use
- Lid stays closed, no water splashes
- Easy to clean up
- The paddle is too long. We can’t store it inside the cooker when this is not in use
- Beeps can be a bit loud
2. Hamilton Beach Digital Programmable Rice Cooker
This is a stainless steel rice cooker with a capacity to rinse up to 8 cups of cooked rice. Its dimensions are 8.25 x 9.74 x 9.88 inches. Besides cooking rice and grains, it also works as a steamer for seafood, poultry, and vegetables even when the rice cooks below.
We only have to program it to cook and steam with the touch of a button. It comes with a rice paddle, rice measuring cup, steam basket and a rice rinser to rinse rice before cooking. This rice cooker is perfect for cooking a wide variety of one-pot meals.
The compact size of this cooker makes storage easy and it is nonstick which helps to clean it easily. Furthermore, it has four pre-programmed settings that include white rice, whole grain, steam, and hot cereal.
- Good price-quality relationship
- It is a small rice cooker and it doesn’t take much space
- The digital counter allows us to know exactly how long it will be until we can eat
- Easy to use
- It has a little drainer that catches the water vapor when open the lid
- Some people have had problems to clean the lid since it is attached to the heating unit
3. Dash DRCM200BK Mini Rice Cooker
- MORE THAN RICE: Oatmeal, stew, soup, quinoa, rice, and pasta! The 2-cup capacity allows for healthier portion control, or individual, quick and easy breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, or sides.
- QUICK + EASY: Set it and forget it! Prep time is minutes (simply add water and your uncooked rice, pasta, or veggies), and press the cook button. Your steamed meal (or side) is ready in less than 20 minutes, with less clean up.
- KEEP WARM FUNCTION: Updated with a keep warm function and indicator light - never overheat or overcook ingredients again, making for a healthy, perfect meal each and every time.
- PORTABLE + COMPACT: The Dash Rice Cooker is your MUST-HAVE for that first apartment, smaller kitchen, college dorm life, or camper/RV traveling. Plus, the fun color options will match any kitchen décor (add to your registry now!).
- INCLUDES: The 200-Watt Dash Mini Rice Cooker is backed by a 1-year manufacturer warranty and includes a rice paddle, measuring cup, removable pot with PFOA-free nonstick coating, recipe book and recipe database access.
This is a metal and plastic mini rice cooker with a capacity to rinse 2 cups of cooked rice. Its dimensions are 8.3 x 6.5 x 16 inches. It also works as a cooker steamer with a removable nonstick pot.
It has a 2-cup capacity that allows a healthier portion control to make quick breakfast, lunch, dinner, or snack. Besides cooking rice, we can also make oatmeal, stew, soup, quinoa, pasta, and steamed veggies.
This small rice cooker is quick to cook and easy to use. We just set it by adding water and rice. We press the cook button, and our food is ready in 20 minutes. Moreover, it has a keep-warm function with indicator light; we don’t have to overheat or overcook again.
It has a compact size to fit comfortably on the counter. In the same way, it includes a mixing paddle, a measuring cup, and a recipe book.
- It’s versatile
- It has a 1-year manufacturer warranty
- It has a recipe database access to receive support from the company
- Clean up is fairly easy
- Great for single servings
- Price is ideal
- No power switch
- The lid is not a tight seal and we can get residues on the counter
4. Black + Decker RC503
This is a white rice cooker with a 14-cup capacity for one large meal or to save as leftovers. Its dimensions are 11.5 x 11.5 x 9 inches.
It has an automatic keep-warm for the rice to stay ready for serving. When cooking is complete, it automatically switches to keep-warm function. Furthermore, it has a removable non stick bowl for an easy dishwasher cleanup.
The Black – Decker also comes with a steaming basket which helps to make healthy meals with vegetables. Besides this accessory, this cooker includes a serving spoon and a rice measuring cup.
With the Black – Decker, cooking takes just 20 – 40 minutes and we can use it to prepare soup, stews, and even oatmeal.
- Good price-quality relationship
- Automatic cooking cycle
- Cooks faster
- Vegetables don’t lose color
- Looks pretty on counter
- Could spit hot water if overloaded with rice
- There is no on-off switch and we have to unplug it every time
5. Zojirushi NHS-6 Rice Cooker
- SAUCEPAN WITH STRAINING LID AND POUR SPOUT: 1-Quart Straining Saucepan with Lid with Pour Spouts eliminates the need for a colander
- DURABLE STAINLESS STEEL PAN: A full cap base on the straining saucepan featuring a thick aluminum core surrounded by stainless steel provides rapid, even heating
- VERSATILE HEAT LOCKING LID: Self-basting lid can be rotated to strain liquids or positioned to seal in heat and flavor
- OVEN SAFE: Saucepan with straining lid is oven safe to 350 degrees F for stove to oven recipes
- EASY CLEANING SAUCEPAN: Straining saucepan is dishwasher safe for fast cleanup
This is a stainless steel rice cooker with a capacity for 3 cups of cooked rice. Its dimensions are 7.5 x 9.1 x 7.5 inches. It is a conventional cooker that automatically cooks the rice and turns it off when the rice is done.
With an easy-to-use switch control as well as a glass lid to see through it. Also, it has cool handles for easy transport. Moreover, this rice cooker has a durable nonstick inner cooking pan which helps to an easy clean up too.
We can see instructions in a manual and use the included accessories which are a spatula, a measuring cup and a steaming tray.
- Easy to use
- Solidly constructed for durability
- Fairly easy to clean
- Good steaming component
- No extra packing. Just the original box which is good for the environment
- Could spill which is not so favorable when making soup. We need to be careful
- Some people have had problems with instructions
I will give a final verdict based on these reviews of the best rice cookers under $50
The one we choose highly depends on our needs. If you just need a rice cooker for personal use or to cook for 2 people, the best option is the Dash DRCM200GBAQ04 Mini Rice Cooker Steamer with Removable Nonstick Pot, Keep Warm Function & Recipe Guide, Aqua. This device cooks fast; not only rice but also other foods like oatmeal, soup, or veggies.
The Zojirushi NHS-06 3-Cup (Uncooked) Rice Cooker and the Hamilton Beach Digital Programmable Rice Cooker & Food Steamer, 8 Cups Cooked (4 Uncooked), With Steam & Rinse Basket, Stainless Steel (37518) rice cookers have so many positive features and are made from stainless steel, which provides confidence. Both rice cookers have easy use, and we can get them and cook good rice. Nevertheless, the Zojirushi rice cooker is a little more expensive and this depends on our budget.
If you have a big family, a good option is to purchase the Black+Decker 14-Cup Cooked/7-Cup Uncooked Rice Cooker and Food Steamer, White because it has a big capacity.
It all depends on the needs of each one; everyone needs different things for different purposes.
I think you will agree that the best rice cookers under $50 is … Aroma Housewares 2-8-Cups (Cooked) Digital Cool-Touch Rice Grain Cooker and Food Steamer, Stainless, 8 Cup, Silver. For me is the most complete rice cooker. Aroma is a brand with a large trajectory. With the best price-quality relationship, it is made from stainless steel, and water doesn’t splash if the lid stays closed. In addition, works as a good cooker steamer.